Anytime you need a sweet treat this will be your new go to. I know it’s mine. Easy to make and a better alternative than other sweets, this delicious sorbet is a new favorite. It will be enjoyed this spring and summer!
I personally did a strawberry sorbet… or is it gelato? As well as a mixed berry and then swirled them together a bit so I could enjoy them both. I’m calling this a mix between sorbet and gelato because it has milk and juice mixed in and at the same time is dairy free. Sorbet is typically a mixture of juice/water with fruit and sugar while gelato is a cream/milk mixture.
I’m excited to try this with peaches. Since peaches aren’t in season right now and I personally am not a fan of the prepackaged frozen peaches (I think they taste very bland nothing like the Colorado peaches we get in the summertime) I opted for berries. When those peaches are available though you bet I’ll be making a peach version!
With the orange juice in this recipe my hope was to kick the flavor up and sweetness which would allow me to cut down down on the sugar. Besides the amount of seeds in the berry mix flavor, which contained blackberries, raspberries and blueberries, it was delicious. I’m partial to the strawberry sorbet for that reason though, less seeds and it too has delicious flavor.
With as many different fruits as there are to choose from during the summer months I’m excited to try a variety of flavors. Kiwi, banana, cantaloupe, peach, it’s going to be good! I might even do rainbow popsicles with the flavors if I’m feeling ambitious.
What I love about this recipe is the fact that it doesn’t contain cows milk.
If you’re lactose intolerant that’s a huge benefit! As a kid I always got orange or lime sorbet when choosing a flavor at the ice cream shoppe because of this. I know there are so many people out there that can relate to this issue. A bonus here though is that you’re also going to know exactly what’s in your dessert.
Frozen Fruit Sorbet
- Blender or food processor
- Temper for blender (optional)
- Air tight container with lid
- Small human taste testers (Optional)
- 1/2 Cup Almond or soy milk
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice
- 1 lb frozen fruit (I used strawberries for one mix and a berry mixture for the other)
- 1/4 cup sugar (I only used 1 1/2-2 Tbsp.
- Add milk, juice, sugar and frozen fruit into the blender in that order.
- Blend on low, use temper to help incorporate the mixture until all blended.
- Slowly increase the blender speed to medium power. Make sure to mix the ingredients with the temper, it will be thick!
- Enjoy! If you have some left you can put it in an air tight container and freeze for later.