The whole family loved these. I was worried because I strayed from my typically white sauce and my husband supposedly doesn’t like sour cream. *oh please.* Actually he’s clarified with me before it’s not that he doesn’t like sour cream. He can’t take ordering a burrito and getting a bite of straight sour cream. I guess you could say Taco Bell ruined sour cream for him.
With that being said, this is a sour cream sauce (but it doesn’t taste like sour cream). You’re supposed to use all 16oz. according to the recipe. I used 1 to a 1/2 cup because I made million dollar spaghetti the night before and used a majority of the container for that recipe.
Serious bonus here and you probably see a pattern with a majority of my recipes and that’s EASY. I like to use our leftover grilled chicken for recipes like this. I despise boiling chicken or baking it in a 400F oven during the heat of summer. In this case I didn’t have any leftover grilled chicken so I used a rotissourie chicken from the deli, tore it apart and threw it in. EASY PEASY and… YUM. I didn’t get the family size chicken but would have if it was available. I ended up with about 6 enchiladas and not a lot of chicken meat just FYI. If you’re cooking for adults or teens I’d suggest buying two or getting a larger chicken like the recipe calls for. We’re a family of 5 but our kiddos are 10 and under.
Don’t forget the salsa
The salsa recipe on my blog went perfectly with this, you can make it while your enchiladas are baking and put it in the fridge. Salsa, chips and enchiladas you can’t go wrong and trust me you’ll be saving this recipe and making them again.
Green Chile Enchiladas with White Sauce
- Sauce Pan
- Can opener
- Measuing cups 1 Cup, 1/4 Cup
- Measuring Spoons 1/2 tsp. 1 Tbsp
- 1 Rotisserie chicken from the deli, large cooked
- 2 Cups Shredded monterrey jack cheese
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 1 Med. Diced onion
- 4 oz. Canned diced green chiles
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 12 flour tortillas
Sour Cream Sauce
- 3 TBSP Butter
- 1/4 Cups Flour
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 8 oz Sour Cream
- 1 C Grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 fahrenheit. Spray 9×13″ pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a skillet over med. heat, melt 2 TBSP. butter, add onion and garlic. Saute until translucent, mix in green chiles (don’t drain). Remove from heat, add in shredded chicken and cheese. Mix Well.
- In a sauce pan over low heat melt 3 tbsp butter. add flour and use whisk to blend until the butter and flour mixture comes together in a thick paste. Pour in broth slowly while keeping the mixture up to heat and whisking it together. Bring to a boil, whisk and lower heat to simmer while you put together your enchiladas.
- Spoon about 1/4 C of chicken mixture into tortillas and roll together. Place down on prepped sprayed baking pan. If there is any filling left save it.
- Remove your enchilada sauce from heat and add in your sour cream. Whisk together until it is a smooth consistency. Put your leftoever filling into the sauce and mix, pour sauce over enhiladas. Place in the preheated oven for 25 min. add cheese on top of enchiladas and put back in oven for another 5 min.
Let me know if you try this recipe and enjoy it as much as we did in the comments.